Aeration is used for treating water with radon levels above 5000 pCi/L. The radon is released from the water by bubbling air through the water. The radon is then vented to the outdoors. There is no build up of radioactive materials when this technique is used. Aeration units do require the repressurization of the water after it is treated and care must be taken to properly vent the radon gas. This venting is done above the roof line just like an air radon system. This service includes both the Iron Arsenic Removal System and the installation.
How Important is the Service
Only about 1-2 percent of radon in the air comes from drinking water. However breathing radon increases the risk of lung cancer over the course of your lifetime. Some radon stays in the water; drinking water containing radon also presents a risk of developing internal organ cancers, primarily stomach cancer. However this risk is smaller than the risk of developing lung cancer from radon released to air from tap water.
Based on a National Academy of Science report, EPA estimates that radon in drinking water causes about 168 cancer deaths per year: 89% from lung cancer caused by breathing radon released to the indoor air from water and 11% from stomach cancer caused by consuming water containing radon.
What to Expect
Your service will be delivered by a SafeWell Professional. You can expect the following:
- Consultation with a SafeWell Water Quality Manager
- Request quotes for service
- Receive several quotes from professionals via email
- Schedule an appointment for installation
- Pre-screened professional arrives at your home
- Services and tests system
- You pay service provider directly
- Follow up phone discussion
- Rate your service experience on SafeWell